Your roof system is one of the most important aspects of your property’s exterior in terms of year-round protection, which is why it’s important to know when it’s time to replace it. There are many variables that can affect this timeline, and our experts at Roofing PD are going to go over the most important ones, so you can keep your property in peak condition. How often you replace your roof system will depend on:
The Roofing Materials
One of the biggest factors that will determine how often you need to replace your roof system is the material it’s made from. Different materials will stand against the elements with varying degrees of durability and have different lifespans in general. Here are a few important facts to keep in mind about some of the most common roofing materials:
- Asphalt shingles are among the most popular, versatile, and affordable roofing options. Generally, they will last between 15 and 30 years with minimal maintenance.
- Wood shingles typically last between 20 and 30 years, but may need more maintenance over time to ensure the shingles don’t decay.
- Wood shakes are stronger than wood shingles, so they should last between 35 and 40 years on average. This is because they’re more resistant to UV rays and other elements.
- Rubber can last between 30 and 50 years and is best used for flat roof systems. It is installed as a single membrane, making it highly resistant to water and other forms of damage.
- Metal roofs are durable and provide amazing benefits in terms of energy efficiency. They typically last between 50 and 75 years but can stand strong for over 100 with proper maintenance.
- Slate roofs are one of the most durable options on the market. They are known to last upwards of 100 years and require little to no maintenance.
Where You Live
The local climate your roof system is exposed to will have a major impact on the overall lifespan of your roof system. Living in Southeast Michigan, your property’s exterior is going to have to withstand four seasons' worth of elements, ranging from hot summers to frigid winters and almost everything in between:
- High Winds
- Snow Storms
- Heavy Rains
- UV Rays
- ... and more!
Current Damages to Your Roof System
If your roof system has sustained serious damage that is beyond the help of roof repairs, you’ll have to speed up the timeline of your roof replacement project. Freak accidents can happen and ruin even the strongest roof system, which is why it’s important to always be prepared. Our experts at Roofing PD will perform a free roof inspection, so you can know exactly how to take care of your roof system.
Connect with Our Southeast Michigan Roofing Experts to Get a Free Quote Today
If you’re getting ready to replace your roof system, call our local experts at Roofing PD right away to schedule a free consultation. Our experts will be by your side from start to finish to ensure you get the best care for your space. If you’re still not entirely sure if you need to replace your roof, get in touch with our team to arrange for a thorough inspection.
Subscribe to Roofing PD's Blog